Hi Everyone!

Thought Adelaide people may be interested in this event (at the end of the e-mail). There are so many issues and things of great interest to respond to on the list at the moment, so much to comment on...

In a nutshell,

Hi Ric and Maria Helena, great to have you with us, people like you give me GREAT hope :-)  if there's two like you, there must be more....and once we get the critical mass :-)

Vicki, the poster is stunning. You and Nic are doing such magic work. Brings tears to my eyes, doesn't that baby's face just say it all? :-) I want 50 and I'll put them up all over the place - I'll email you separately about that.   For those of you who haven't seen it, Vicki and Nic's film (and that song you wrote Vicki - it's so haunting, I find myself humming it everywhere) is stunning too.  I recommend it to anyone who cares about women and babies and wants a bit of inspiration :-)

Re: insurance and Victoria...WHAT.  Isn't it amazing that the govt aren't changing the rules to assist with ensuring women's choices are available, not to mention people's right to choose the sort of work environment they want to work in. To deregister???? Now that's worthy of more letter writing.

Re: the woman who had a caesarian for breech when the baby was cephalic. I wonder if the position of the baby was checked on admission?  I've noticed a bit of a trend towards no palpation, just "slap the CTG on and let technology do it's thing" happening. And of course, ultrasound is used so much instead of palpation by our medical colleagues. Palpation, like other body centered things becoming a bit of a lost art, have others noticed that trend?  Did I read that the woman was NESB? I can't help but wonder about the consent, explanations, debriefing etc. It's such a tragedy, the whole thing.

And then ultrasound, great to see the research catching up with concerns and observations. Isn't it interesting how perceptions and orientations influences the way one observes?  The movement (of the fetus being exposed to ultrasound) being constructed as 'liking it"or "not liking it" depending on one's perspective. One of my big concerns has always been what does it do to oocytes?  Given that females have the full complement of eggs from early gestation and given that the sound waves interrupt DNA, my paranoia is wondering what effect that will have several generations on. Fertility is decreasing as it is...so maybe it is a good form of population control?  When you think of the symbolism inherent in the vaginal probe ultrasound becoming such a "toy of the boys" it's chilling.

And then dating?  Sigh, what happened to the Bell Curve?

Love the parable Vicki. Where did you say the shop was?  I'm tending the garden for the seeds :-)  Roll on NMAP!

in solidarity (I love that Justine!)  Carolyn Hastie

and now the message from Adelaide,  I've taken off the flyer for the list, if you are interested, email me direct and I'll send it to you. My e-mail address is [EMAIL PROTECTED]    CH