Mg Sulphate is routinely used in Hospitals at least in Washington state and California in the USA for PE. It is one of the drugs I was licensed to carry in case of PE. I don't know of any midwife who ever used it but we all carried it. We did have one mum who we transferred for exhaustion and prolonged labour who ended up with HELLP syndrome a couple of hours after admission. She had Mag sulphate IV and went on to  have a spontaneous vaginal birth and the mag suphate made her feel yucky but really managed the complication well.  marilyn ps with hindsight, we were very glad we had all decided to make the transfer, she had no signs of rising BP until we got to the hospital, and still it wasn't bad, the OB on call  just did some liver function tests to be sure (and apologised for doing them) and was very surprised with the results.
----- Original Message -----
To: list
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2002 11:34 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] BMJ Stories

The first story is about treatment by Magnesium sulphate for women with severe P.E.     The conclusion is about why such a cheap effective treatment isn't being used.  FASCINATING!  http://bmj.com/cgi/content/full/325/7365/609
The second is about the spin media put on medical research.. "The operation was a success!" (but the patients died)http://bmj.com/cgi/content/full/325/7365/664