Hello fellow listers....

just want to wish you all a safe, happy and healthy New Year.

I have had a wonderful year...a year of affirmation of my calling to midwifery....I have enjoyed my first year of the B Mid immensely .....many challenges...many joys and frustrations ...but above all many friendships made with wonderful women - colleagues and clients alike.

I completed my first clinical placement on Christmas eve...wow....what a wonderful 2 weeks I had, learning and sharing with some wonderfully dedicated and expert midwives...Thankyou to Louise, Lynne and Sandra for all your support and guidance during my time with you...you have taught me so much and I feel honoured to have begun on my midwifery journey with you all...thank you.

To the wonderful women who opened their hearts to me and shared their pregnancy and birthing experiences - thankyou....Women just love to share their wisdom of 'woman' with students and without their trust and enthusiasm to teach us...where would we be???? I'm feeling so contented at the moment where I am with my midwifery.....finally its all coming together....all the skills and knowledge I am developing, consolidating, revising ....its just awesome....and there is nothing like the lived experience to bring it all to the fore :-))

Like the absolute thrill of being 'with woman' as she discovers her power and strength in birthing for the first time and trusts you enough to open completely and birth her 4.1 kg babe into your hands....or the woman who is frightened as labour is early....and the student who is 'green' with this senario...but together we find our way through the highs and lows of a highly managed/medicalised birth....scalp electrodes, monitors, periods of bradycardia ....to finally the elation and relief and the pumping of adrenalin experienced when a little 2.4 kg babe arrives in a hurry/flurry....student one glove on, one glove off.....cradling this sweet little being in what look like her huge hands....the sheer delight in seeing this family 'birthed' will stay with me always....thank you Nicole.

2003 holds much in store. A busy year ahead with family life and my midwifery studies. I look forward to a year ahead of sharing and learning with you all.

Yours in reforming midwifery
Tina Pettigrew.

Bachelor of Midwifery Student
Soon to be at Australian Catholic University.