Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2003 8:23 AM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] controlled parenting

Pinky,

Well I thought it would be good to give you an up date on my friend who “was” practising “controlled crying”, and am pleased to announce that she has almost completely ceased this …..

We gave her a copy of your books and she said that she read them but I’m not completely convinced that she actually “read” them.

On another front, she was told by her parents, husband, in-laws, relatives, and some friends that ‘controlled crying’ was the NORM!

So you can understand that she believed that this was the correct decision.

It’s a pity that such a majority of our society seems to favour these ideas of parenting.

In regards to breastfeeding:

Recently her mother in-law remarked “ You do know that there is No goodness in breast milk after 3 months!”…To which her husband stepped in and said, “She only continues due to the comfort-factor!”

When our friend was telling my wife and I this story our jaws dropped to the floor and I guess she detected our concern and attempted to soften the situation by adding “ Well I was formula fed and there’s nothing wrong with me!”

I bit my tongue while my partner couldn’t help herself and began to calmly explain the benefits of breastfeeding.

I’m glad to say that at least the swing is going towards the acceptance of breastfeeding and not away from it… It may take some time but if we all make an effort to support mothers and families then we will all benefit in the end.

Darren