Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 9:48 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] I am back! Did ya miss me?

Hi everyone,
I am back with a newly polished soap box and a major thing to be yelling about!
I am going to jump straight into it with the stress that I am not going to stay on the list for long (a few weeks perhaps) so you may have to contact me off list for further details.
Okay, everyone sitting down???

Guess who is doing an Australian/New Zealand multi-centred study called ACTOBAC A Controlled Trial Of Birth After Caesarean which (wait for it) is a randomised controlled trial involving 2000 women.  The study is being conducted by Professor Caroline Crowther.  It involves women with one previous cs and they will be randomised at 34 weeks.  Those who are designated the vbac option will have mandatory continuous monitoring and all the other woman unfriendly policies imposed on vbacs, inductions or augmentations will not be excluded. The unfortunate women who are allocated to the cs group, if they (inconveniently) go into spontaneous labour they will be given an emergency cs.

How do I know all this??  CARES was contacted after Crowther read my article in Birth Perinatal Issues Journal (Sept 2002) and asked us to make some comments on the trial....we made comments alright!  5 pages worth for starters.  The issues and criticisms are many and varied.  the language used is appalling, the information biased and the methodology dubious.  An then there is the little issue of it being completely unethical!  we got a reply after almost three months with a "thanks for your feed back.  We are proud to announce the trial has been approved for funding".
this is an unacceptable and insulting response to say the least.  we have had no further comment from them.

So how annoyed are you so far?? it gets better.  As this is a long posting as it is, (typical for me huh?) If you want to know more please let me know.  To end this email I will give you the first paragraph from the information pamphlet provided to us by the research team in November:
"For someone like yourself who has had a previous caesarean section a decision needs to be made as to whether your baby is best born by allowing a vaginal birth or whether a repeat caesarean section should be undertaken"

and it gets so much better!!!!
hope to hear from interested parties as soon as possible as I am writing to the ethics committees and need as much weight to support our objections.  (ACMI National level would be appreciated if you are listening!)  Remember that this is going to recruiting women from every major women's & children's hospital in every capital city around this country.
cheers for now
Jo Bainbridge
founding member CARES SA
www.cares-sa.org.au