From: CJ Knight
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 10:40 PM
Subject: Re:[ozmidwifery]Hep B Birth dose

Hi Sandra
Got to say how much I admire your approach to this vaccination. Like you I have problems sticking a baby with a needle before they have had a chance to adapt to extrauterine life.We give out a consent form but when I give it to women booking in I make it clear that this is their decision and that it is important that they research it further. We have a handout which was adapted from an article written by a WA home birth midwife which we can provide to parents who want further information. The only time I could see it may have to be given at birth is where a child is being placed in day care at an early age or the parents are going to a country where Hep B is endemic.

I have been vaccinated and initially seroconverted. Another antibody level done following a needlestick injury about 7-8 years after the initial immunisation showed low antibody levels and I was advised I would not seroconvert if I received another booster. However when I had levels done following a recent needlestick injury( Drs and their sharps-don't you love them) it showed high levels of antibody again. I can only assume I had been exposed at some stage and my immune system kicked in as a result of the original immunisation.
Regards
Jane