Hi all,
       A women very keen to have a "natural birth" with her first baby, brillante labour, full dilation but the babes head not fully engaged was told to push way before she felt the need to. The outcome was lots of poo (very unpleasant for her and off-putting!) but maybe the reason that the head was high and the Doctor coming in and feeling what she described as a "fat lip!" and off we all went to theatre ): By the time we arrived she was very!!! ready to push but this was ignored as the intervention cascade was in full flood and despite a good FHR a section was preformed.
 Wisdom here please! what am I missing? Julie.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2003 8:05 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] 'Allowing' to push

Mary said:As for "allowing"  What does that mean?  The woman will push when she has to and no amount of "not allowing" will stop her.

The major concern is for those mothers who are told to push when they don't need to.  There really is no way a woman can be told not to push; but the damage that can because when forced to push is hugely ignored.  When I had my second baby (first vbac) the hospital midwife said to my Independent midwife "don't you teach your women to push!"   Hmm kinda says alot
Jo Bainbridge
founding member CARES SA
www.cares-sa.org.au
[EMAIL PROTECTED]