Love to you Lieve and to Lars family - how heatwrenching to be given this hope and have it snatched away again.
Pinky
----- Original Message -----
From: Rhonda
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2003 1:05 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Lieves story

I have heard from Lieve and I am sure she will not mind me replying on her behalf.  She has been very busy.
Lars passed away after an operation at another hospital that had a 75% chance of a possitive outcome.  It was very traumatic and confusing for his parents who were given some hope from this second opinion.  The first hospital had predicted that Lars would quietly slip into a coma and die peacefully and the second hospital said it would be much more difficult for him if he remained untreated.  There was an operation they could do which had a 75 % chance of a normal life.  They said that they had never seen a baby with his condition do so well and breast feed and thrive - he was about 6 weeks of age.  The parents spoke to parents were given contacts for other parents who had babied who had survived the operation and decided to go ahead with it.  It went well but then a few days latter they said that he was failing and would not survive without the life support system.  Then the parents had to decide to turn it off - Lars went peacefully in his mothers arms.
They returned him home and packed him in ice in his cot and had a few days to say goodbye and have visitors over.

I do hope lieve that i have relayed the story well for you.
I do hope that Nele is doing well and kept the amazing strength that she had throughout this ordeal.

Regards
Rhonda.