Hi Julie, I saw it and it deserves a stack of letters, I didnt see it as "funny" -initially, I thought it might be but as I read on I began to feel really offended.
Pinky
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2003 2:34 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] SMH Good Weekend Article on Saturday Criticising Birth Plans

Hi everyone, I received this email from a lovely woman who came through my classes last year – did others see this article too? Hug Julie

Hi Julie,

I was wondering whether you managed to see the article in this weekend's Good Weekend magazine in the Sydney Morning Herald.  It's written by Mia Freedman about how (apparently) useless birth plans are, and basically goes on to ridicule any woman who has the intention of trying to have minimal intervention in labour.

And I quote:

"Fastforward to the actual birth and $100 says she'll be swearing at said husband while screaming for an epidural.  $200 says the CDs and the oil burner won't even make it out of the labour bag."

"But while birth plans are relatively harmless, I'm far less tolerant of the very vocal group of childbirth zealots who rail against pain relief and 'intervention'.  Why aren't these women grateful for medical help?"

"Epidurals don't appear to affect the baby physically."

Whilst I wouldn't say that I'm a person who would get up on her soap box and push the natural birth method on everyone, I was really offended reading the article.  I understand that it's meant to be a humorous piece of writing, but I think it actually has the effect of offending those who desire the most natural birth possible, yet will welcome medical assistance if required.

I feel like writing a letter into the SMH expressing my disappointment with the article and pointing out a few misconceptions regarding epidurals, like they're totally risk-free to both mother and baby.

If you haven't seen it, the SMH is still on sale, but if you don't get to see it and would like to see it, just let me know and I'll pop it around to you.