20040205-1* Giving birth and being born in the water. Experience after 1325 waterbirths - Italian Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics , vol 15, no 3-4, 2003, pp 113-120 Thoeni A; Oberhuber A; Moroder L - (2003)
  Objective: The aim of our study has been to point out the advantages of waterbirth. IN this respect 1325 consecutive waterbirths have been analysed and then compared with two different delivery positions. Methods: We compared 1325 waterbirths, 515 deliveries in bed and 237 on the delivery stool over the last 7 years. We evaluated duration of labour, perineal trauma, arterial cord blood pH and postpartum maternal haemoglobin levels. We analysed 200 water samples taken from the pool after filling and after delivery, in order to examine pathogenous micro-organisms and the possibilities of neonatal infections. Results: A significant reduction in the duration (first stage) of labour (380 vs. 473 minutes) and episiotomy rate (0.45% for waterbirth, 17.2% for the bed, 7% for the delivery stool) was noticed for the primiparae who delivered in water in comparison with those who chose other delivery positions. Nevertheless, the percentage of perineal trauma did not increase (23% in all groups). There was little difference in the duration of the second stage (33 vs. 37 minutes), and the levels of the arterial cord blood pH or postpartum maternal haemoglobin remained unchanged. No woman who delivered in water required analgesics. Infections after water births do not occur more frequently than after traditional births. Conclusion: Our results show that waterbirth has a big advantage if compared with traditional delivery methods. It is associated with a significantly shorter first stage of labour, lower episiotomy rate and reduced analgesic requirements in comparison with other delivery positions. Provided that the women are selected appropriately and hygiene rules are respected, waterbirth is safe both for the mother and the neonate. (16 references) (Author