FRANCES BEDFORD MP JP
Member for Florey

436 Montague Road
MODBURY NORTH SA 5092
Tel: 08 8263 2666                Fax: 08 8263 2166

 Inquiry into Post Natal Depression\TOC\2\BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE

Ms BEDFORD (Florey): I move:

That this house calls on the Social Development Committee to investigate and report upon the impact of childbirth experiences in South Australian hospitals and postnatal depression (PND) on South Australian individuals, families and the community, and in particu­lar:

(a) the recent trends in the occurrence of PND in South Australia;

(b) the relationship between birthing experiences and PND;

(c) interventive and preventative services to minimise the occurrence and harm of PND;

(d) health implications of PND and the long-term cost to the South Australian economy;

(e) alternatives for antenatal and postnatal care and support;

(f) the role of midwifery services in South Australian hospitals; and

(g) any other related matter.

In speaking to this motion, I advise the house that some people would tell you that, apart from dirty nappies and sleepless nights, having a baby is about feeling complete and being gentle and loving. Unfortunately for many new mothers, the truth is a far (and very loud) cry from this. More than a quarter of a million babies are born every year in Australia. I think childbirth is the single most important reason for hospitalisation, and it accounts for the highest number of occupied bed days.

     Childbirth is now very safe in Australia. Maternal and infant mortality rates are the lowest they have ever been and compare favourably with those of other first world countries, even when you factor in the unacceptable and unsatisfactory indigenous statistics in this specific area. There are about 5.3 maternal deaths per 100 000 births and approximately 5.9 infant deaths per 1 000 live births. In the non-indigenous population, these mortality outcomes are consistent across states, regions, ethnic groups and hospitals; and, unfortunate­ly, they are consistently bad. They are not significantly affected by the insurance status of the mother. However, for indigenous Australians the picture is far worse. Despite some improvements, the maternal death rate for indigenous Australians is double that of the non-indigenous population, and infant death rates are three times as high. So, you can imagine how much our figures would improve if an impact for the better could be achieved.

     Birth is a normal, healthy life-giving event and will occur naturally in the vast majority of women, just as ovulation, menstruation, conception and pregnancy generally occur without medical management. Unfortunately, in South Australia our caesarean rates are high by world standards, and this extends to other forms of intervention. One in four women are now having caesarean births in Australia. This is an all-time high. Of particular concern is the high rate of elective caesareans for which, the evidence suggests, there is no medical justification. It is very important that this trend be examined.

     Even more startling is that one in five children may have a depressed mother in the first year of the newborn's life and, given the critical nature of the early attachment period, this has major public health implications. The near epidemic proportions of postnatal depression that we are seeing today signal more of a social than a medical pathology. Current social arrangements make mothering more demanding and often lonelier and more stressful than it need be.

     I can only imagine how it must feel to look down on a newborn child's face and not to feel anything, not to get that promised flush of emotion. It is hard to believe that in this day and age there are mothers in our community who, as we sit here today, are coping with postnatal depression, pacing up and down hoping their baby will not start crying, or—worse still—will stop crying, coping with sleep depriva­tion and praying for five minutes of uninterrupted sleep, or those who are crouched in the corner of their loungeroom crying uncontrollably. We cannot imagine the grief these mothers feel living with postnatal depression: the sadness, the guilt and the desperation.

     I remember feeling this way for a little while when I had my first baby. Thankfully, it passed with time. I did not know what was wrong as I had never heard of postnatal depression, and when I found out a bit more about it I remember thinking that there must be some other or better way to help new mums and prevent them feeling so helpless, alone and unsure. I am glad now that I am in a position to help. I continue to feel that more needs to be done following the close exposure to the system of childbirth that I had in 2000, and I remain more convinced than ever that, whilst a great deal of good work has been done, a better understanding of the process of childbirth is urgently required. Now, as a person happily anticipating grandmotherhood, I want to make sure that all new babies have the happiest and best start possible.

     Recently in my electorate we had a tragedy when a young woman sadly took her own life. This mother of two who suffered from postnatal depression unfortunately is not alone in her suffering. It is for these mothers and their babies and families that we must hold this inquiry, because the health and well-being of the new mother (the person most usually the principal care giver of precious new lives) impacts on the baby and the extended family (the husbands or partners and other children). It can be a difficult and frightening time for all of them, and the cost (aside from the extended hospital stays, visits to the doctor, medication and, in some cases, loss of working days) does not take into account the high personal cost and developmental consequences that it can have for the baby and its siblings.

     This inquiry will give health professionals an opportunity to present evidence, and it will give mothers (the consumers of our state's maternity services) an opportunity to speak out about the challenges and traumas they faced. It is imperative for the healthy future of babies whose mothers are suffering. We will learn where improvements can be made and investigate innovations in postnatal and antenatal care that will change the world for some mothers and, obviously, their babies.

     Current funding arrangements for antenatal birthing and postnatal care can be examined to increase the streamlining of service provision, ensuring a seamless episode of care extending from the beginning of pregnancy through birth and into the postnatal period, with the continuity of a particular carer, where practicable.

     Since proposing this inquiry, I have received many phone calls from doctors, psychologists, maternity groups, nurses, midwives, obstetricians and mothers from this state and other states and territories. Mothers want to tell their story and explore ways to avoid suffering and make sure that the birth and care of babies is a happy and an joyful experience. I urge the house to support the referral of this inquiry to the Social Development Committee.

hello everyone,
I apologise if you get this more than once...and also the lack of contact details for the Social dev com...will get them asap (Lareen can you help?)
  This inquiry is important and we can not really lose this opportunity to highlight how child birth and options/care surrounding birth can influence the emotional well being of women.  Could you forward these details on to those you may think can help or would be interested?
SUBMISSIONS ARE REQUIRED TO BE LODGED BY FRIDAY MAY 7TH!!
contact me if you have any questions but I will have to get further details from Frances anyway, so you could just approach her.
Jo Bainbridge
founding member CARES SA
www.cares-sa.org.au
[EMAIL PROTECTED]