Date: 7/09/2004 7:32:23 p.m.
Subject: [ozmidwifery] doula discussion

Kirsten- Do women in New Zealand ask friends or relatives to support them at birth?

Kirsten you wrote "That the selling of the need for a professional doula undermines a woman's belief that she can give birth by herself, and is disempowering."

Women usually believe they need midwives and or doctors to give birth. On a very rare occasion do I see a woman who is prepared to birth on her own.  I would say that sometimes when a woman chooses to have a doula she is actually doing something that is part of her empowerment in taking back the responsibility for her birth rather than leaving it in medical hands and asking a doula to support her in whatever her choices are, a lot of what I have been learning is how to support a woman to empower herself, by asking the right questions such as when they ask for advice or say what did you do? I would reply something like "How do you feel about that? and Would you like some more information on that? Would you like to go through the different options available to you? etc we do not give opinions recommendations or advice, we provide information on the risks and benefits if they ask for it, and we support them whatever their choice. Even if that means choosing to bottle-feed,  having an elective caesarean or planning to have an epidural from the moment they enter the hospital. It is all about them and their choices. Some women will choose not to be informed in their choice and will decide that they simply want to follow the doctors suggestion such as when he says "if you were my wife I would want you to have a caesarean!" we can offer information but if they don't want it we will support them in that choice. Does that make sense.
I also have a trust in the women I serve, I know they can birth their babies, and I do not in any way suggest that they could not do it without me.
Growing up my godmother was the equivalent of a doula although I didn't realise it at the time, she would attend all of the births in the valley where she lived, some of the women she new well and some of them she'd never met, she never had any formal training but as she'd birthed 7 of her own and attended many births she was accepted as the person you rang in labour, and she worked alongside the homebirth GP or midwife.

I am still new to the birthing world, and I am open to learning and admit I know very little compared to most of you on this list, thankyou for allowing me to be part of the discussions.

A question for you all .
Is it standard practice for you to debrief a birth with a woman (and or couple) ?
If so, do you leave it open for them to also do more debriefing down the track?

Thanks again
Honey