From: "Trish David" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2004 4:25 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] introduction

Dear Kirsten and Tanya, I was part of the team who developed BMid from its
inception in Victoria, when Tasmania wanted to be part of it. In the very
beginning I was in Tasmania and at that time University of Tas looked like
it would continue as part of the consortium of universities in Victoria that
offer BMid. Sadly, they pulled out when I left and came to Monash, citing
lack of industry support, however they continued with developing and
implementing Grad Dip Mid which is still going down there.

I would advise all students of all pathways to midwifery to join ACMI and to
make contact with sympathetic midwives. In Hobart I am sure Terry Stockdale
will be supportive, but there are others as well in the birth centre and KYM
teams down there. Kathy McCarthy-Bushby are you out there somewhere? ACMI
will help with contacts, too. Good luck, Tanya. Kirsten, nice to hear your
experiences are positive, part of the reason for that of course is down to
how well YOU present yourself and your willingness to listen.

Good luck to all midwifery students on this list for end of year exams....
Trish

Kirsten Wohlt wrote:

> Hi Tanya!  I'm Kirsten, and I am a first year Bachelor of Midwifery
student too.  I am at Monash University in Victoria.  I have about 9 follow
throughs so far, 3 who have recently had their babies and 1 due any day now,
and have so  far found it to be an amazing experience.  Even though I am
explicit with these women in that I am unable and unqualified to give them
any advice, just having me there at their doctors visits and ringing them up
seems to make them so comfortable - maybe not happy exactly, but something
akin to it.  They ask my opinion (which it is very difficult not to give,
but so far so good!), and want to tell me what is happening to them and
their bodies, without me even having to ask much.  I think all pregnant
women have a kind of feeling that they are the first in the world to have a
baby - I know I felt that way!  :)  It is a unique experience, and you can't
help feeling a peculiar pride and sense that something miraculous is going
on for you, that surely hasn't REALLY been experienced by anyone else.  So
to have someone like you or me showing care and excitement for them and
their journey just seems to reinforce to the follow through woman that she
really is special and important, and makes them want to open up and share
things and bring you into their life.  That is so inarticulate, but I am
quite happy thinking about it, so my thoughts are getting jumbled!! :)

> The doctors that I have seen with my follow throughs have been really kind
and supportive, and insist on helping me to palpate abdomens and listen to
the baby's heart either with their stethoscopes or with the doppler.  They
explain everything they do really nicely and seem keen to involve me.  Maybe
I've just been lucky.

> Midwives in the hospitals have also been very positive and proactive in
explaining what they are doing and why.  While I can't actually be involved
in assisting anyone in the birth beyond being there and bringing ice (!!),
the midwives have been keen to show me the placenta or explain how to feel
for contractions, bits and pieces like that which are all so important.

> Our 2nd years who are out in the clinical environment now also report
being really well accepted by the teams of midwives they are working with -
no negative feedback at all, which I was worried about too.

> I think we have made a good decision to do this course Tanya.  At a time
where midwives are in demand, a demand which will hopefully increase if
midwifery led care does get the support and promotion it deserves, I think
we will be really well placed to make a positive contribution to many
families.  Especially with the support and unofficial mentoring of groups
like this one.  Can't listen to them enough :)