What if a private company or person was to build one themselves (as is the case for some of the newer birthing units in NZ)?  I can just imagine the head-ache involved but surely it would be possible.

-------Original Message-------

Date: 17/09/2004 10:17:07 a.m.
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Free Standing Birth Centres

In ACT the Legislative Assembly Standing Committee on
Heath ( Maternity Services)  enquiry made a strong
recommendation in its Report launched in May for the
ACT Govt to, among lots of other good things,
establish two free standing Birth centres. We are
awaiting the Gov't response to the Report - only 6
weeks late at present. I was told two weeks ago that
the response was imminent... I'm not holding my
breath... we are up for ACT elections in October as
well as Federal and I'm sure they're just biding time
and making no commitments. Strong obstetric forcefield
here!

And in mean time there are jobs going for midwives
wanting to work for the current BirthCentre (caseload
model).

Margie