Just a thought.

If you did someting according to 'hospital policy' but you new that there was no evidence to support this and it was against your code of practice and someone took you to court.  Your argument that it was 'hospital policy' would be blown out of the water this is NOT a defence!  Think about it.

If you are aware of a policy that is not evidence based then take it to task to the appropriate hospital committee. Or you can be a real 'pain' and write an incident report EVERY time you have to do a CTG that is not evidence based citing 'to cover yourself' just in case the client takes the issue to court for unnecessary treatment.

I like the Andreas way of getting the medical officer to write the reason in the notes for the CTG.  You can also say - you do it if you want it done as there is no good evidence that I should waste my time or worry the woman - if the medical officer had to do this every time there was an admission they would change their tune.

Regards,
Anne Clarke