----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2004 11:02 AM
Subject: [BirthRage] controlling delivery pt 2

" Controlling Delivery " Part 2

By : John Pope
Of the New Orleans Times Picayune
Wenner contributed Patriot News reporter David to this story

Obstetrics at a Crossroads
In the Harrisburg region, the frequency of Cesarean sections appears flat,
and the percentage is likely below the national average.
  At Holy Spirit Hospital in East Pennsboro Twp., Cesarean sections accounted
for 22 percent of births in the most recent fiscal year. That's a slight
decrease from 2002-03, when Cesareans accounted for 23 percent of births, and a
slight increase from the previous fiscal year , whenthey accounted for 21
percent, hospital spokeswoman Lori Moran said.
Dr. Kenneth Oken, when deliveres babies at Harrisburg Hospital, said he's
heard of local women requesting Cesareans for non medical reasons, but "its very
unusual. "
" Usually, after we've discussed it, they've elected to go for the vaginal
delivery, " he said. Oken regards vaginal delivery as slightly safer, and
recommends it unless there's a medical reason to do otherwise.
  On the plus side, Cesareans allow deliveries to be scheduled at 39 weeks,
which he said can eliminate a small number of stillbirths.
  On the downside, an elective Cesarean could prove unwise for a woman
planning a large family. Possible consequences , including scar tissue and
adhesions, could affect future deliveries, especially for someone who has had more than
two Cesareans, Oken said.
  But Oken realizes his profession has reached a crossroads regarding
deliveries and could be on the verge of a time when doctors inform patients about
both kinds and patients chose.
" We are becoming more attuned to the fact that people would ask for
(Cesarean) to avoid potential trauma to mom and baby, even though ( such trauma) is
very rare, " he said. " We have to listen to what our patients want "
He pointed out, however that a surge in Cesareans would drive up delivery
costs, because of anesthesia, equiptment, and longer stays would cause space
shortages in local maternity wards.