Dear Trish
Whilst I agree with your first sentiment
<They are a tool in
the professional midwife's kit that should be used with caution, judgement,
humanity and great respect. They should only be practised by skillfull
practitioners who know the theory behind what they are doing, the evidence
basis
for them, and the ramifications of not doing as well as of doing them

I have not heard any one say or suggest

< you will never have to use them, so therefore should never learn them.

I likened it to using a thermeometer to confirm what a midwife would suspect
or know from being "with woman"

And I know  when student's learn about taking using a thermometer they learn
about the factor's that can influence the reading and no measurement is
infallible and uncontaminated by context the latter is particularly true for
VE's though not recognised or reflected by medical facilities and
practitioner's which I and many other midwives have known and been
constrainted by!

It was these influences to which I was ineptly refereing.

Denise Hynd

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world.  For,
indeed, they are the only ones who ever have."
Margaret Mead