Hi there list and especially megan,

I also performed my own VE's in labour with my 2nd,
3rd and 4th sons. I was in the water and felt the need
to have a tangible focus for my own progress. I told
my midwife and she suggested I check for myself. I
distinctly remember with Sam (no. 2) feeling a rush of
exhilaration as I identified that my cervix was about
9 cm dilated and i could feel a fontanelle clearly
pulsing under my middle finger. It was extraordinary,
more women should be encouraged to become aware of
their own bodies and the way they work. Also, while I
support absolutely limiting the use of VE (listern to
her NOISE, it will tell you), I feel much more
confident as a mid student to perform a VE having done
my own in labour! Miriam, Flinders uni Bmid.

http://au.movies.yahoo.com