Hi,

Today I attended the information session for the direct entry BMid at UTS.
Sounded interesting, lots of people there, but I must admit I was
disappointed to learn the NO "alternative" therapies will be taught. No
herbs or anything. I find it so hard to accept that, in a course teaching
about "natural" birth,  "alternative" things can't be taught because they
are apparently not evidence based but all medical interventions will be
taught??
Sorry to rehash this subject I really don't want to get in another arguement
about it. I went with a positive outlook and came away very disappointed. I
find it hard to understand how learning to "facilitate" natural birth would
include all medical interventions, but not all the natural tools we can use.

How can student midwives learn to really be "with woman" if they are not
given a chance to learn all the skills involved? To me it does still seem so
medical.

I really believe that the proof is there with "alternative" therapies, maybe
just not the type of "evidence" that the medical professionals will accept.

I really am feeling so disappointed as I was excited to go and see what was
happening and maybe even get a little more tempted to study midwifery here,
but now I just feel disillusioned.

Love Abby