Hi listers
If you truly believe that all Australian women should have the choice of their own midwife through local Community Midwifery programs.... read on.

Here's your chance to influence NSW maternity services by getting as many midwives and consumers from this list onto the new Area Health Advisory Councils. At last we have an opportunity to support the case for community midwifery at local level and back up all the hard work Justine and Barb have put in nationally.

Applications are now open for Members and the Chair person for all of the newly structured NSW Health Areas (as advertised in last week's SMH)
Further information can be found at
http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/pbh/councils.html

You will need three referees and a lot of good reasons why you should sit on these influential Councils but I figure there are enough listers who have the required written/verbal/communication and presentation skills, and plenty of experience in conflict resolution.

If we can get enough Maternity Coalition members onto these Advisory Councils we can make lots of positive changes to the fragmented maternity services of NSW and get midwifery services out into the community where they belong.

Make your move quickly as applications close Friday, 26th November 2004.

Listers living in other states and territories should check with their Health Departments as to whether they are undergoing similar restructuring.

Looking forward to hearing of many successful applications via the 2005 Members List. Who knows, we might even have some Chair persons!

Yours in best practice
Jan

Jan Robinson Independent Midwife Practitioner
National Coordinator Australian Society of Independent Midwives
8 Robin Crescent South Hurstville NSW 2221 Phone/Fax: 02 9546 4350
e-mail address: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> website: www.midwiferyeducation.com.au