From: "Abby and Toby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Glucose Challenge Testing
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:21:48 +1100

Hi,

Couple of questions about this-

1) Is this application normal or necessary, the fasting for so long I mean - "My midwife wants me to have a glucose challenge test that involves 12 hours fasting then a blood test, drinking a sugary drink, 1hr later another blood test, drinking another drink and then another hour later another blood test."

I have never heard of someone having to fast for that long beforehand?? Seems like a strange thing to ask a pregnant woman to do. Any insight would be great.

2) Does anyone have any info, links, research etc about the accuracy, relevance/importance, evidence etc for the glucose test?

Thanks in advance.
Love Abby

(P.S. Still working on the `evidence` about controlled crying, nutrition etc)

Leanne Wynne
Midwife in charge of "Women's Business"
Mildura Aboriginal Health Service  Mob 0418 371862