-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Kirsten Wohlt
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2005 9:17 AM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Student's support role

Hi all,

As a 2nd year BMid student with very limited experience of being present
at births, I wonder if I may ask for some tips on how to support women
in labour. I have attended only 3 births, and have contributed to some
degree by being there to hold a woman's hand or bring her ice or a cool
cloth, or speak an encouraging word - very much been working on the
'less is more' basis and being a quiet support presence.  I have one
woman now who is planning a VBAC and has some specific requests
regarding my support role, but I don't know where to start, and I don't
want to go in there feeling nervous and tense!  Her first birth was long
and painful, ending in an emergency c-section following a 'failed'
induction. She remembers essentially lying in the bed the whole time,
not walking around, and having several doses of pethadine.  This time
she wants to stay active and upright and would rather have limited/no
drugs.  She says that she knows she will not want to walk once she is in
labour and wants her husband and I to be strong and 'make' her.  She
also wants me to think about ways to encourage her, or positions that
may help.  I don't have any idea how to start...any pointers?  Articles,
texts, experience?  I will do web research and look through my uni
texts, but I know there will be an awful lot out there - some pointers
which will help refine the search would be really appreciated.

Many thanks,

Kirsten