Title: Re: [ozmidwifery] Frances Perry Sofitel programme?
Hi Tania and all

The Sydney Morning Herald ran a Photo on this appalling waste of money! (I know how I feel about it!!)

30% of private health insurance policies are paid for by us the taxpayer.

Unless these women fund this themselves then it is an obscene abuse of public money.

I wrote the following letter and it was published in the SMH on Wed 9 Feb.  The red bit was cut, surprise!!

I read with horror of the new mums pamper package SMH 5/6 Feb (paging room service please burp my baby).  Is this where my tax dollars are going to fund the 30% private health insurance rebate?

I am a mother of four in rural NSW.  We have not had a maternity service for 13 years.  During the course of a pregnancy a woman could drive in excess of 1500 kms for pregnancy care and then be forced to stay in a motel to await the birth, away from community support.

This does not have to be the case.  Many rural areas could have services returned through the establishment of community midwifery programs.  The majority of women who have normal healthy pregnancies would be safer and better looked after than they currently are.

To date the calls from rural women and health groups are being ignored by Health Minister Abbott and Deputy Prime Minister and Leader of the National Party, John Anderson.  It seems they’d rather serve the big end of town in five star hotels. Will a rural woman or baby need to die before they act?

Justine Caines
Merriwa NSW