Great thought, Mary.
I just helped a mum through birth with a VBAC. She is 4'11'', very increased BMI (225lbs). First baby 6lb 5oz, cesarean for "FTP" as babe posterior with head deflexed. She was rehospitalized postpartum for infection at the incision site which I felt was likely superficial due to her size.

I consulted as required by our hospital admitting privileges, and she was advised not to "attempt TOL". Another physician actually laughed at her when she to her of her plan to birth vaginally with the physician asking "who is the brave soul that is going to let you do that?" She spent many visits in my ofice in tears. Even my midwifery colleagues were doubtful about the wisdom of "letting her try". I lost my temper with them over it in the week before her birth, accusing them of being "fatphobic."

She went into labour spontaneously, walking into the clinic at 7 cms asking if she was really in labour. Went on to birth a 7lb 1oz baby 5 hours later with only about 40 mins of pushing. No problems, great recovery. I am going to pass on this quote to her, although we have discussed the concept already.

Meaghan (in Canada)