The voices of your obstetricians provide us with a glimpse of the power relations that existed in the different time periods that you examined - and although many feel that we haven't come very far - your book demonstrates how far we have actually come (not that I want to gloss over the many problems that current maternity practices are facing).

Take care everyone
Alphia

At 10:21 AM 12/03/2005, you wrote:
Hello Kerreen,

Re professional dominance of mothering - I absolutely agree - this isnt just about the baby, although that is bad enough, but when mothers surrender their power to professional domination, they are  set back in so many ways - for the longer term- so that what should be an empowering and delightful experience is thwart with angst, fear and dissatisfaction.

I am going to respond to this article.

Pinky

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kerreen Reiger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 5:31 PM
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] returning to list

Hi all
I am finally returning to the list after a long absence due to work commitments. Already I am glad to be back, eg in light of this discussion about babies'  settling/crying. For those who don't already  know me, I am a founder of Maternity Coalition and a  social scientist/historian who's worked on maternity care issues for  many years. I'm  now studying  working relationships in maternity care settings and a paper at ICM will be the first out on this research. Some details of my last book  are below for those interested, including discount sales.

I have  both a longstanding  professional and strong personal interest in relationships between professionals and mothers.  What  bothers me about return of emphasis on regimentation  of babies is not only the  neglect of bubs' variability but further  professional dominance of mothering. We have two new babies in our family (my  first g'children!) and within a few weeks I saw the impact of lousy professional advice on b'feeding and management, but also  some excellent support that encouraged my daughter-in -law to feel that  she was the  'expert' on her baby! How we ensure this across midwifery and maternal, child nursing remains the challenge it seems. Who is  actually contesting this article in the MJA or the press? Thanks for  drawing our attention to it.
cheers
Kerreen
About  Our Bodies Our Babies: the forgotten women's movement:

In Our Bodies, Our Babies: the forgotten women's movement, Kerreen Reiger traces the struggle of Australian women and others to change approaches to childbirth, to claim their right to choices in childbirth, and to educate themselves about birth and breastfeeding. She explores a social movement which has radically changed our maternity care practices, allowing fathers to participate in the birth of their children and babies to 'room-in' with their mothers. It laid the foundation for new models of care such as birth centres. The book draws on interviews with mothers, midwives and doctors, and on archival material from women's organisations such as the Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia (NMAA) and the Childbirth Education Association. It discusses the relevance of the childbirth and the breastfeeding movements to feminism and women's rights, arguing that the needs of mothers as citizens need to be taken more seriously. Our Bodies, Our Babies is essential reading for all health professionals involved in maternity care

Discounted copies now available at $15 (originally $38.95) plus postage: please contact me for an order form.  Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Alphia Possamai-Inesedy Ba (Hons.)
PhD. Candidate
School of Applied and Human Sciences
Bankstown Campus, University of Western Sydney
UWS Locked Bag 1797
South Penrith Distribution Centre
NSW 1797 Australia

Phone: 02 97726628