From: Kim Stead
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 1:52 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Waterbirth thread - maternity initiatives!

Hi everyone

I've been following this thread with great interest.  I am a bit confused as to this new initiative and whether it in fact, means anything at all....?   Is tomorrow going to come and go and things continue to stay the same??  Some say that this whole 'initiative' it is just a token gesture to calm the waters and at the end of the day...... the old boys have all the control and are not going to hand this over to midwives?

Like Tina, I have too trained in the BMid model and feel quite equipped to offer care across the whole continuum and work in a caseload model.  The problem is.......  there are very few vacancies for us to work in the model we have been trained for.  I certainly hope this will improve.  The hospital I am at is keen to offer caseload but there are a few hurdles in our way.  I'd be interested to know whether this applies to other hospitals as well......

1.    Lack of committed and skilled staff - or should I say, a huge fear that working caseload is going to impose on our lives too much!
2.    Lack of obstetric/medial support when needed.  There are lots of power struggles going on and obstetricans playing bullies!
3.    How to fund this type of program with no additional funding?
    -    I realise there are grants available of which I understand we have been turned down for on our last attempt?  I believe we are also             waiting for the ANF to decide on salary packages for caseload type work.

Another concern that I see is not only the opposition or fear of caseload by many midwives, but also the knowledge gap that exists in the antenatal segment.  I am not sure if preconception and antenatal care and education has been part of traditional midwifery training...  and I realise it is not rocket science but I have also seen many midwives who have become reliant on doctors instead of using their own extensive knowledge and skill base.  Together we have a wealth of knowledge that we need to share with each other.  I am sure you all agree and I hope you can understand where I am coming from.  We know how to fill in pathology forms, how to do a bishop score etc, but we have not been 'alllowed' to perform such tasks.   There are many more I can think of when midwives have been required to call in a doctor to follow protocols!

Is it the unknown or lack of confidence/skills in this area that is contributing to the fear factor?  If so, what are we doing about it?  If and when these types of models of care are initiated, how will we staff them with the current state of our workforce and lack of midwives?  I believe each and everyone one of us has it in us to work to our full potential  and it should be our right to move in and out of different models to suit our individual situations but I believe we are on the back-foot preparing and supporting each other to do this.   I don't believe in my area that we would have adequate numbers to undertake Caseload in this area effectively and efficiently.  It would be shame to start and burn out because it were not set up properly.  I can imagine who would be laughing too and saying "I told you so!"  How do the rest of you feel in the areas you live in?  Is this a rural thing or does it apply to the metropolitan areas also?  I'm in rural Victoria.

I have heard through the grapevine that there is money available for refreshing/reskilling of midwives....whatever you would like to call it, but how and when is this going to take place?  Do any of you know of any refresher type programs that are currently availbable?  Shouldn't this already be happening in preparation for our day in the sun?

I also think the idea of independent midwives mentoring grad midwives is terrific in theory, but again..... finding midwives who are still managing to work in these models is another difficulty in itself.  I worked with a beautiful midwife yesterday (relatively new) who said she had never seen physiological 3rd stage.  I wonder if she has ever truely seen a normal birth?  How can we expect midwives to facilitate normal births when they have  not had the opportunities to witness them?   We need more MIPPS to help keep this balance with student midwives.  We all know we need more support to encourage and support independent midwifery!!!

I hope that this post is not offensiive to anyone as that is not my intention at all.  I'm only new myself so full of passion and ideas but lacking in the experience department.  I see that we can all offer each other so much and I really feel passionate that we need to begin working together and supporting one another in the drive for better employment options.

I'd like to see this happen before I die as well!  Someone please tell me that this is going to happen.......?  I'm only in my 30's!

Your in midwifery and forever learning so forgiveness please for my foot in mouth disease!!

Kiwi Kim