Hmmm not really sure why you feel you would be crucified Kim. This used to be a pretty safe place to be. :-)

Good midwifery care doesn't stop with the birth of the baby. We follow on with that great care, ie excellent, supportive, knowledgeable guidance, if needed, to breastfeed.
Breastfeeding and artificially feeding aren't of equal value for either mother or baby. When we first meet a mother antenatally we don't say, 'And will you be having a caesar, a vacuum or a natural birth?'. We start by assuming that she'll be having a natural birth. Likewise we shouldn't be saying 'And how do you plan to feed your baby?'. We should assume that she will breastfeed. Is that what you call being "pressured"? - if so then does that mean we are also 'pressuring' women to have normal births?

If we all assume normal right from the beginning (doctors too!), educate about normal, praise women for their strength and ability to have a child then more normal would happen. And breastfeeding is only normal - it isn't special!

You say we all have different views and interests ... the philosophy of midwifery doesn't and neither do its best practitioners.

Women get pregnant so they will have a child, not to experience childbirth. Safe, optimum, empowering, normal birth is a great way to begin their life with their child... but it's only the beginning. We're doing our best to try to get that experience for as many women as we can - but let us not have fragmentation of care after birthing because it's the 'afterwards' that is most important to most women.

But, this conversation started by suggesting great places to go to get brilliant life-changing experiences in midwifery ... I think you would be disappointed about the birthing situation these days in the Netherlands - it may be happening at home, but it isn't ideal birthing and that is borne out by the terrible breastfeeding rates which follow.

Warmly
Denise