Hi Jo
I always have a little hopeful thought when I hear of a midwife who is
pregnant that she will give herself a wholesome opportunity to intuitively
experience her pregnancy - her growing belly, changing body and boobs, enjoy
the swirls and kicks of her growing baby and cherish the "secrets" of
pregnancy like the feeling of communicating with her baby and "knowing"
things that you can't put into words or explain to someone else.
It is such a beautiful opportunity to gain insights and understanding that
no Maggie Myles textbook can convey.
I hope you get the chance to read some of the wonderful classics Sheila
Kitzinger's books, Janet Balaskas Active Birth, Claudia Panuthos
Transformation through Birth, Ina May Gaskin Spiritual Midwifery,
None of them are nurses or midwives all of them are women who are mothers.
There is something unique about each of their books detailing their work and
understanding.
I think there can be lots of "reasons" why babies engage or don't engage.
On one level we can discuss the mechanics of it all can't we?
Such as the baby's head being the heaviest part and so gravity will
encourage it downwards, or when the baby starts to be a bigger size it will
naturally try to fit more comfortably between mum's ribs and pelvis.
Or it could be that the baby begins to come to some realization that it will
have to commence working on it's exit and begins to strategise on the most
suitable way out.
Perhaps it's the increasing Braxton hicks (practicing) contractions of the
uterus that are letting the baby know that soon it will be born and with
that gentle warning the baby begins to prepare more seriously for it's role
in the birth and recognizes that becoming engaged into the pelvis is a
clever little thing to do.
I think there is quite a bit of quiet unrecognized communication between the
woman and the baby.
Childbirth Without Fear by Read and Ideal Birth by Sondra Ray and Birth
Without Violence by Frederick Leboyer are  more fascinating books to seek
out too.

Jo, I wish for you a wonderful journey through your pregnancy, labour, birth
and loving your little one.  Embrace the experience.

Warm hug
Julie

Julie Clarke CBE
Independent Childbirth and Parenting Educator
HypnoBirthing (R) Practitioner
ACE Grad Dip Supervisor
NACE Advanced Educator and Trainer
NACE National Journal Editor