Sue Cookson wrote:

Hi,
Not too sure if this isn't part of the same thread about 'dramatic' women,.
What do any of you know about the risks/benefits of iron infusions after a PPH?
Hb @ 5 weeks is 91, but mother active, walking, good milk supply (always), happy...
Anyway, she's been advised by a medico to have an iron infusion and I can find very little in any of my Obs or midwifery texts.
Looking forward to your wise responses,

Sue

I would be wary of doing an iron transfusion for an Hb of 91. It's not really that low, and considering the anaphylaxis risks of the procedure, not worth it, in my opinion. When we do them on the ward, a doctor has to be present (ie not off in the ANC or birth suite, but on the ward) and the 'crash trolley' has to be outside the door and special drugs all sitting there ready to use should they be needed. Have they checked her iron stores or tried her on oral supplements? Does the woman WANT this?

Jo (RM)