I just wanted to write to say "thank you" Gloria for these wise words. Your views on the 'inner need for a big story' really resonated with me & have made me think about how we (& I include myself in this!) either allow or encourage situations to play out to fulfill this need.... & yes birth is amazing & wonderful & exciting & awesome, & in some ways an 'extreme' experience, but also just as much mundane, ordinary, common-place & just part of 'daily life'.... & you see this 'ordinary-ness' much more at home than in hospital I think (well that is my experience anyway)..... its got me to wondering how much the perceptions women hold around birth are culturally defined, & how big a role TV & other 'entertainment media' has played in this 'drama of birth' thing.... for women, & midwives, & other health professionals involved in maternity care..... definitely our expectations have changed, both as consumers & carers... & whether women experience birth in hospital as 'ordinary' to start with...
just thinking out loud...
jennifairy
independant midwife in south australia
(so good to finally write that!)

Gloria Lemay wrote:

I've just joined the list and live in Vancouver, BC Canada. Some of you know me from articles I've written for Midwifery Today Magazine or just from being a generally uppity, brazen woman. Lieve told me you were discussing the "drama in birth" thread and I have read the posts with interest. It's so elusive, isn't it, trying to describe what birth "is". It's very paradoxical---- a rites of passage, yet an ordinary day
profound and spiritual yet down and dirty
complex yet so simple
intimate yet lonely and solitary
painful yet pleasurable
a huge accomplishment yet not of our doing
Just when I think I know something about birth, something proves I know nothing once again. What a fun profession to be in. I would hope that introducing the lens of "drama" to examining birth would lead not so much to pointing fingers of blame for what's wrong with birth but, rather, to each player owning their own need for drama and lightening up a bit about it. When I had my last baby, I learned a technique for "disappearing" pain and used it all through the birth process. I only had about 5 minutes when I thought "Gloria, you idiot, you knew it would feel like this, why are you here again?!" As soon as the baby was out, I had this huge wave of regret. . . . .I had had a painless birth and had no story to tell, oh dear. I realized what an idiot I was, of course. Who in their right mind would want a dramatic story over a smooth birth?? I share that story with other women so they can take a look at the inner need for a big story in their own lives. When we get these things out of the closet and into the light of day, we become more powerful. The only demons that control us are the ones within.
As a birth attendant, too, I can see that I have a need to be a "saviour" and a 'hero" instead of a fly on the wall. Dramatic births are food for the insatiable ego. Learning to love the simple, silent arrivals with only a flickering, fleeting glance of gratitude from the woman transformed into mother. . . that is the quest of our spirits. I look forward to getting to know you on this list. Gloria Lemay, Vancouver, BC Canada