Hi Barb,
This was very good
Thanks
Lyle

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 04/18/05 6:44 pm >>>
Interesting, Carina and Denise,

I feel breastfeeding advocates have been "hoisted on their own pettard"
- for so long we sold the message that breast is best.  Not the obvious,
that breast is normal; formula feeding is not, and some risks.  Risks
which we may choose to accept, or may have to accept.  Unfortunately
"guilt" has become a blunt instrument with which to bludgeon
breastfeeding advocates, and prevent sensible discussion of the real
issues.

As Denise said, occasionally, like any other part of the body
occasionally breasts don't work.
My son and I have asthma. (I guess I "gave" it to him as part of our
genetic heritage) Our lungs don't work properly. Some-times I supplement
him with oxygen, and everyday we both take drugs.  I don't feel guilty
about that.
With my first child (not the asthmatic one - he of course was fully
breastfed til 6 mnths) I got into a complete pickle.  Work, lack of
sleep, difficulty adjusting to my new situation.  I was easily "conned"
into believing my breasts didn't work.  The formula flowed freely.
Unfortunately the breastmilk did not seem to do likewise.  I scraped
through - breastfeeding and artificial feeding.
Subsequent children have taught me that my breasts worked fabulously -
but I did not have a good idea of what "normal" was.(they taught me
that, too)  I recieved liberal lashings of poor information, until I
managed to access the support of the Australian Breastfeeding
Association
I don't feel guilty about formula feeding.  I did the best I could
under the circumstances, which were trying to say the least.
In my volunteer work as a breastfeeding counsellor and my professional
work as an infant feeding consultant I work with women every day.  Not
all manage to breastfeed, despite all our efforts.  Sometimes I don't
know why.  Some-times I do.  We don't live in a culture where
breastfeeding is normal and understood.  However, I do believe women
deserve the information that formula has risks, and encouragement and
information to breastfeed.  I dispense info on weaning, and work to
promote breastfeeding as normal and to increase society's knowledge of
breastfeeding.

I help mothers as much as I can, understand why it didn't work for
them, grieve for a time of life lost, reflect on their experience and
enjoy their baby, and not feel guilty about the decision they made, or
had to make.

Barb