Andrea Quanchi wrote:

Did anyone see Oprah getting her ears pierced on her show recently it was hysterical. Just reinforced my lack of desire to have mine done and I gave birth to three big babies without much trouble at all.
Andrea Q
On 25/05/2005, at 4:10 PM, Lieve Huybrechts wrote:

I still have no ear piercings,will you come and hold my hand :-)))

Lieve

Lieve Huybrechts
vroedvrouw
0477/740853

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Namens G Lemay
Verzonden: dinsdag 24 mei 2005 18:00
Aan: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Onderwerp: [ozmidwifery] Re: Pain relief resources

I think one reason why women fear the pain of childbirth so much is
that they know that no one is being straight with them about "Just how

bad is it?"  I think that being descriptive about what I felt ("like a
molten hot basket ball being pressed down into my crotch every 3 minutes
with just enough time to barely get myself together before the next big
press") AND also letting women know that I'm the world's biggest wimp
when it comes to pain (didn't have my ears pierced till I was 34 y.o.
and then had to lie in bed whimpering for 24 hrs after) and yet I've had
3 natural births, is empowering.  I also find that if a woman is friends
with other women who have done it she's more likely to go the distance.
I tell the women they can have the "pay now plan" or the "pay later
plan" with re to pain in birth.  The "pay now" route gets it done in one
day (natural birth), the "pay later" route means a low grade insidious
pain that can last beyond six weeks (epidural headache, backache,
stitches healing, or worse after c sec).  The biggest benefit of the
"pay now" route is that you have a child with all the brain cells Nature
intended for him/her.  That is a reward that you reap for your whole
life for just one day of courage.

Gloria Lemay, Vancouver, BC Canada