Hi Lindsay, I worked with a woman throughout her pregnancy & birth who had a vulval varicosity (the size of half of one of my fingers). Came up about 30 weeks of pregnancy (after a long car trip interstate), & she was concerned that it would 'be a problem' during her birth. At the time (this was about a year ago) I looked everywhere for refs for her. What I found was not very helpful or numerous (sorry!). She had a great birth, but during the process of labour her vulva became so swollen that when the Dr. went to suture a 2nd deg tear, the stitches pulled right thru, & she had to be sutured the next day after the swelling had subsided. Antenatally she used witchhazel tincture on it for a while & it did subside slightly, but it only went away fairly completely postnatally. I believe that this oedema was directly related to the varicosity, as she didnt have a protracted labour or 2nd stage, or a lot of VE's etc... & this hadnt happened in her other birth. Theoretically I can see that the possibility of rupture during labour could exist, but Im not sure how 'dangerous' this could be (ie 'fatal haemorrhage'), or how likely it would be to rupture.
Sorry Im not more helpful!
Jennifairy

Lindsay Kennedy wrote:

Hi

I am doing some research into varicose veins for an assignment. According to Foote (1960), it is possible that extensive vulval varices could rupture during birth and cause fatal hemorrhage. Does anyone know anything about this subject? It is the only bit of research I found that said this. But there is very little info on vulval varices at all.
Cheers

Lindsay