My husband is a sonographer and he says he routinely does a transvaginal ultrasound to diagnose this accurately.  As to treatment of this...you would have to be guided by your gynaecologist.

Regards

Helen
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 3:42 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Ovarian cyst question...

Hi lovely and wise women (and men!)

Having been a nurse in a previous life, but never worked in Gynae, I’m not really up on the current thinking about ovarian cysts.  A friend has emailed me with the below question, wanting some further information, and I’m wondering if there are any gynae wizards out there who can shed some light…

I'd like your advice on something…

I have a ovarian cyst in the right ovary. About 5-cm. We first discovered it in Oct. I've had two ultra sounds and the cyst hasn't grown, but it also hasn't gone away. I have no symptoms (i.e.: pain). I went to a Gyn. she was pretty straight forward with me, which I appreciate, but went quite quickly to the operation solution. Anyway, she then said they often let these run there natural course but as I am thinking of having kids this should be dealt with and at the time she can check things out and do a fertility test (die in the tubes). She is recommending a laparoscopy done the hasson technique (as I have had a umbellical hernia surgery before and she doesn't want to take the chance of hitting bowel - I am also happy for her not to hit anything else)

Anyway, I'm wondering if you have an opinion on this whole thing. Are there other methods to deal with a cyst that are less invasive? What do you think of this fertility test? Is it safe or is it going to leave a lovely chemical residue in my tubes which can effect a fetis?

I've decided to have an internal ultra sound to gather more information.  Any websites, books, points of view you can throw in would be appreciated. Questions I should ask? Things that could happen they don't tell you about? I want a complete picture before making decisions.

Thanks again.

Thanks in advance,

Tania

http://www.nod32.com