Well said Deborah.

-------Original Message-------

Date: 16/06/2005 10:54:58 a.m.
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Problems with new models

Hi All,
This is my first post, I was drawn to your discussion about Caseload Midwifery via the BMid Student Collective website.I am a 2nd year B.Mid (direct entry) student at ACU in Melbourne. I am ONLY interested in working caseload and I know I can speak for a number of my student colleagues, also.

You may have heard of our Follow Through Journey experiences, in which we work one to one with 30 women through their childbearing continuum, with guidance and support from a mentor. This is preparing us in all sorts of ways to work caseload or independently-it proves to all involved the value of continuity of carer to women and midwives. This month I am on call to support 3 of my wonderful women in their births.I have known them and their partners since their first trimester. I simply take my mobile phone to bed with me and forget about it unless it rings. Antenatal and postnatal meetings are flexible and in decent hours of the day. I also work part time, have 2 children and am fortunate to have a very supportive partner.
I would not be interested in working professionally in any other model of care.  In the hospital shift work I have done in placements I have felt frustrated a lot of the time, I have not felt that I have been able to employ evidence based practice and I find constant early shifts unbearably disruptive to my family.
I feel so lucky to have been educated in this model of care and hope that by the time many more BMidders are in the workforce it will become a more commonplace way of working. I don't see suturing or any other clinical issues as a barrier. We are keen to learn and practice these skills in order to work as independent practitioners within a framework of a collaborative health profession.
My best wishes to all midwives and others currently setting up caseload models in their units. Please keep up the great work. Lots of BMidders are dying to fill the vacancies as soon as we are able!!!

Thanks for the discussion.
Deborah Fox

Add FUN to your email - CLICK HERE!