I have not seen exactly as you describe Narelle but similar at
an earlier stage of labour.
I am sure it is related to the way the head is lined up with the
opening and the pressure behind the baby at the time. As you
know it is common to feel the difference if doing a PVE either
during a contraction or when the uterus is relaxed. I would
imagine that if she stopped the rocking that the head became
misaligned again and so did not descend during a push???
Cheers
Judy