Thanks for your reply. You are right about our perceptions sometimes and this gives me another view of the issue.
Alison
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 12:07 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Privacy, comfort and dignity during birth

I vividly remember a young Greek woman many years ago sitting in a corner of the room labouring away totally oblivious to the many conversations in the room. There were  23 'support' people in this room who were really getting in the way and taking absolutely no notice (much to her disgust) of the very important midwife,  who was in charge of all important medical type things . However said midwife on one trip out of the room to fetch some very important piece of equipment actually reflected on the labouring woman and perhaps she had an epiphany because she realised that for this particular woman the noise of her close family members doing what they always did when they got together (talked and chatted in small groups amongst themselves) was exactly right for her. When the young woman started to make very obvious birth type noises, most of the 23 melted away to wait for birth outside the room, leaving just the now humbled midwife, the father of the baby and the two grandmothers. A very valuable learning tool for the midwife, who now really looks at the woman when there are support people chatting and asks herself "Is this bothering the woman?". If not she does not interfere.
Cheers
Alesa

Who really tries to keep the number of support people below 23 these days:)

Alesa Koziol
Clinical Midwifery Educator
Melbourne