To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2005 11:15 AM
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] intermittent auscultation

Pete, the only problem is that the "somebodies", in positions of power, have
set a standard that "a reasonable midwife" has to adhere to, or suffer the
consequences if there is an adverse outcome, ie, a dead or compromised baby.
Also, when one is employed by the Govt. there is an expectation that the
standard will be adhered to.  There was not extensive trials or even large
scale retrospective research to compare 1/2 hrly or 1/4 hrly to continuous EFM. Unfortunately, common sense does not prevail. When we don't have the midwifery research knowledge to back it up, we have no other choice. I wish
it were otherwise, MM

se- d-oes -n--Original Message-----
Sally I agree with what both you and Gloria are saying, with a low risk
women term and all progressing well in labour where is the evidence to
support any auscultation, I also believe that it can he horribly
invasive and could easily be construed as intervention.  Surely as
professionals we can use our skills to make the call on whether
auscultation is needed or not.  I also believe that there can be a lot
of angst built up over listening too often in what in most situations is
the normal physiology of 2nd stage.

yours in midwifery pete malavisi

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 16:24:32 +0800, "Sally Westbury"