HTH Philippa. I think there are many ways to prevent it but hospitals don't promote them. I can look for more if you need it, but start with these. Some counselling might help her make decisions too as emotional stress is thought by many people to be a contributing factor. I've seen many women with PE for first pregnancies and then no sign of it after that because they ate better and stayed away from white coats.

Preventing preeclampsia

http://www.empoweredchildbirth.com/...eeclampsia.html

Empowered Childbirth
Birth Articles
"What ifs?"

What if my blood pressure goes too high?
Higher blood pressure readings during pregnancy are usually perfectly normal. As our blood volume increases, our circulatory system works harder than ever to move the blood around. For most of us, this is no big deal, but for somewhere between 5-10% of pregnant women, the numbers creep high enough to cause concern. Normally, any reading above 140 (mm Hg in medical terms, points for the rest of us) systolic and/or 90 mm Hg diastolic is considered high blood pressure but for those women who normally run BPs either very low or borderline high the increase of 30 points systolic and/or 15 points diastolic is enough to cause some concern.

There are 2 basic concerns when the numbers get high. The first and statistically least likely problem is purely circulatory in nature. Your blood vessels are struggling under the stress of your increased blood volume. In this case you would look for options that will either strengthen the blood vessels or reduce the heart rate. In other words, eat more green leafies, fruits and vegetables and relax, meditate and de-stress your life (I know, easier written by me than it is to actually do, but you're worth it).

The second and by far more likely and more widely promoted is a condition known as
pre-eclampsia or toxemia of pregnancy. It is a widely studied and much misunderstood condition that requires a discovery of protein in the urine combined with the above mentioned high blood pressure reading in order to diagnose it. OBGYN.net has a page outlining the various definitions of the symptoms of this disorder but current research is showing that the roots of pre-eclampsia are developing by the 8th week so let's not bicker about how to diagnose it, let's learn to prevent it, OK?

Michel Odent has a wonderful paper on his more holistic approach to
pre-eclampsia (you might have to register on MedScape in order to read it though). He writes:

"Theoretically, the most direct way to prevent preeclampsia would be to consume sea fish that is rich in n-3 polyunsaturates and also in minerals that are essential nutrients for the brain (eg, iodine, selenium, and zinc). This conforms with the geographical variations in the rates of preeclampsia and with the results of our encouragement of pregnant women to eat fish from the sea. In order to reach significant conclusions, large studies of this kind are needed in countries where the rates of preeclampsia and eclampsia are high."

"Until now, all studies have been conducted in wealthy countries with very low rates of preeclampsia, such as Scandinavian countries. ... For example, a Danish study involved 533 healthy women randomly assigned in a ratio of 2:1:1 to receive, after 30 weeks pregnancy, either fish oil, olive oil, or no oil supplementation.[28] The objective was to evaluate the effects of fish oil on the duration of pregnancy. There was no mention of the rate of preeclampsia or eclampsia. ... it was mentioned only in the detailed text that no preeclampsia occurred in the fish oil group vs 5 cases in the control group."

"In conclusion, preeclampsia may be understood as the price some human beings must pay for having a large brain when they are more or less separated from the sea food chain."

So, eat foods from the sea or supplement with fish oils. I'd add to that, stop buying salt from mines and increase your intake of unprocessed salt from the sea. Natural salt is damp and grey, not white and dry. Links on the subject all seem to be tied to commercial sites but I've posted some information on why refined salt is no better for the human body than refined sugars and refined flours.

Dr. Tom Brewer has made a crusade out of prenatal nutrition and the connection between a poor diet and
pre-eclampsia. I offer his page here as a suggestion for healthy food choices not as a "diet".

High levels of protein, plenty of water, moderate exercise and calcium/magnesium supplements are the typical "wise woman" recommendations.

If you're reading this page because your blood pressure's already too high there are a couple of "toxin-flushing cocktail" recipes floating about the Internet, many are here. Because toxemia is hard on the liver you'll want to drink plenty of water and possibly add some liver supporting herbs or remedies to your diet if you start spilling protein into your urine.

Nina writes:

The best way to avoid toxemia is to eat lots of protein, 80-100grams a day is what was recommended to me. And drink at least 10 8-ounce glasses of water each day. Also, do NOT cut salt intake. Of course don't load up on sodium but don't eliminate it from your diet either.

Judith writes:

There's a lot they don't know about toxemia, or pregnancy-induced hypertension, including whether they are the same thing, as well as what causes them. I think really good nutrition and avoidance of toxic substances is key.

Now as to what really good nutrition means...well, Dr. Tom Brewer has gained a lot of prominence though promoting a high-protein, high-nutrient diet, often heavily dependent on milk, eggs, and meats, and a lot of natural birth folks totally swear by the Brewer plan. I personally got pretty sick trying to cram all that food down when pregnant and I'm someone with a pretty healthy appetite. I lean more toward what the Farm Midwives always said, which was that in their experience vegetarians who got their protein chiefly through beans, soy products, and veggies don't seem to get into trouble with toxemia at nearly the rate of meat-eaters.

Since magnesium metabolism seems to be key in treating or preventing toxemia, I'd see about taking a balanced calcium-magnesium supplement, and adding magnesium-rich foods regularly such as; brown rice and other whole grains, leafy green vegetables (which are really important to a good pregnancy diet anyway for the B-vitamins, especially folate, and other factors, including plant protein), a little bit of shrimp or scallops if you like seafood and tolerate it well, and tofu made with nigari (the natural coagulant, which is magnesium chloride and other mineral compounds from sea water). You can try it stir-fried rice with broccoli or Chinese veggies or both and other vegetables you like.

Eat lots of salads, nature's diuretic, with many different kinds of tender greens.

I'd also take a good B-complex supplement. I found I could do better than most prenatal vitamins by putting my own combos together and reading the label.

Oatmeal is wonderful as a tonic food to help regulate blood pressure. It's good for nursing mothers too. If you can't hack it as cereal (I sometimes eat it savory-style, with a little salt or soy sauce instead of milk and sweeteners), there are always oatmeal cookies.

If you find you are craving chocolate....that's often about magnesium as well. Some of these high-mag foods might help. If you tolerate chocolate okay (sometimes, unfortunately, it's the worst thing if you have acid reflux, which is common in late pregnancy with the baby kicking against your belly) ...go ahead and indulge. When the weather is warm, I sometimes make a yummy vegan ice "cream" soda of chocolate Soy milk or sorbet with high-calcium sparkling mineral water (any sparkling water will work if you can't get one of the naturally high calcium brands like Gerolsteiner or mendocino Eater or San Pelligrino.)

Drink plenty of water, even (or especially) if you are a little swollen...it will stimulate your kidneys to help eliminate excess swelling, believe it or not...and fresh fruit and vegetable juices if you can get them. Carrot juice straight, or mixed with fresh orange or apple juice or some other vegetable juices is a wonderful source of minerals and vitamins, including huge but totally safe supplies of beta-carotene. If you have an extra $200, a Champion juicer is a wonderful thing...sometimes they are sold cheaply used too, check on-line auctions and bulletin boards, like at the natural foods stores.

Try adding nutritional yeast as a supplement too...we've come to like it as an additive to popcorn...toss our popcorn with a little butter and/or olive oil mixed with natural soy sauce, then sprinkle the flake yeast on...a real good savory.

Frozen bananas...good source of potassium and magnesium too... can go through a Champion juicer too and make a great ice cream substitute, or you can put them through the blender or food processor with a little milk or soy milk and maybe some nuts or flax seeds. A yummy treat that kids love too.

Okay, I'd also recommend yoga and other gentle movement programs based on balance, other mild to moderate exercise, gentle bodywork by someone experienced at working with pregnant women.

Now, about
avoiding toxic substances. Look out for paint fumes, gasoline, solvents, too much car exhaust (especially diesel), environmental tobacco smoke...if someone around you smokes...get them to quit if you can, or take all the fresh air breaks you need to take if they won't go outside. All that stuff is hard on your liver and kidneys. I'm chemically sensitive and avoid most scented laundry and cleaning and personal care products, air "fresheners", and almost everything that comes out of an aerosol can.

I've been researching high-mineral herbal combinations, here are some of the suggestions I've read:

alfalfa leaf (claimed to be high in magnesium and many minerals)
chamomile (soothing, good at helping absorb calcium)
borage (helps with milk production, also an ingredient in calcium tea)
chickweed (a good source of natural calcium...grows as a wild "weed" almost everywhere...delicious! I gather it for my tortoises, too)
miners' lettuce (the same; does it grow where you live?)
oat straw (good source of natural silicon and helps absorb calcium)
watercress (many trace elements...remember to make sure it's growing in a CLEAN stream if you harvest your own in the wild...people have been poisoned by watercress from a polluted stream.)
Even the medical profession recognizes a condition called White Coat Hypertension, where your blood pressure gets higher just seeing the nurse or doctor walk in! (and being judgemental, often...)

It's not expensive or difficult to get your own equipment and learn to take your BP yourself..about $25 will get you a cuff and a stethoscope (which you can also use to listen to the baby without ultrasound, something big brothers and sisters often enjoy doing too). If there's a big difference between what your doctor or whoever finds and what you get at home...you've got White Coat Hypertension, and you get it from your doc! Treat it like allergies, avoid the circumstances that make it go up, like prenatal visits....

http://gentlebirth.org/Midwife/pih.html