-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Nikki
Macfarlane
Sent: Monday, 8 August 2005 3:56 AM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Cervical dystocia

The definitions you have found for cervical dystocia are interesting
Dorothy.

Cervical dystocia just means that the cervix has stopped dilating. The
explanation of dystocia that you came across assumes that no period of
waiting would make any difference.

Dystocia is a pretty random assessment. Within what time frame does the
midwife make the prognosis that cervix has stopped dilating? What if it
stops for an hour? Or two hours? Or five hours? What if she just waits?

I woudl say the most imprtant thing is to determine the well being of the
mother and baby. If the mother is comfortable with a wait appraoch, and the
baby is not showing any signs of distress, why does any action need to be
taken? OIf the baby is rotating into a better position for delivery then
slowing down of cervial progress is pretty common.

If the mother is happy, and the baby is happy, then why not just sit it out?
Why does the midwife need to intervene in any way whatsoever? Just because
the chart says the motehr is not progressing to time, so what? I woudl say
this is the time that the midwife begins asking what the mother wants and
where and how she is most comfortable. Taking any action just because she is
not progressing as per a chart is no different that any other form of
obstetric active management.

Nikki Macfarlane
www.childbirthinternational.com