Hmmm. Well I haven't heard anything about it and I'm in contact with many lactavists who'd love this. I shall do some investigating! Anyone know the LC in the article?
Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2005 6:02 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Human Milk Bank

This was on the list earlier this year.....

Helen Cahill

Australia's first milk bank
August 12, 2004 - 1:06PM

Australia's first milk bank is to start offering breast milk to new
mothers in Victoria from the beginning of next year.

Melbourne-based lactation consultant Margaret Callaghan plans to open
the private service which will pasteurise milk donations and offer them
to mothers who cannot produce enough for their own babies.

The proposal has raised questions about how the new service would be
regulated.

Ms Callaghan said the private company setting up the Victorian milk bank
planned to set up in NSW next and then to establish clinics nationwide.

She said new mothers who wanted to donate would be screened for disease
and would then express the milk at home.

"It wouldn't be like a cow shed," she said.

The milk would be pasteurised and given to premature babies whose
mothers for some reason could not provide enough milk.

Premature babies would be targeted initially as they were the most
likely to suffer necrotising enterocolitis (NEC), or bowel blockages,
after being fed formula, she said.

Mothers milk also aided neurological development and reduced the risks
of infections, Ms Callaghan said.

Hospitals used to provide excess milk from new mothers to babies who
needed it until the rise of the spectre of AIDS in the 80s.

Ms Callaghan said that as the average age of mothers increased, so had
the demand for breast milk.

"I have people ringing me saying 'Where can I get some human milk
from'," she said.

The president of paediatrics and child health of the Royal Australasian
College of Physicians, Professor Don Roberton today said any move to
make breast milk more available was positive as long as the milk was
properly screened for disease.

Professor Roberton said human milk had advantages over formula,
especially for premature babies.

"But we also have to be very aware of any potential risks that might
occur with human milk," he said.

Breast milk would need to be carefully screened in the same way donated
blood was, he said.

Breast milk banks operate in the UK, the USA and parts of Europe but the
prospect of them opening in Australia has raised the question of who is
responsible for their regulation.

A Therapeutic Goods Administration spokesman said a breast milk bank
would be a state rather than a federal responsibility.

A spokesman for the Victorian Department of Human Services said a breast
milk bank would come under the State food act.

The operators would have to show their product was "free of infection
and fit for human consumption" and convince the government that they had
strict screening processes in place, he said.

- AAP

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

http://www.nod32.com