Hello Vedrana,

Marsden has written many articles -we have some on our website that you will find interesting.

His book "Pursuing the Birth Machine" describes how the WHO came around to thinking that the obstetric model of care needed to be changed and the consensus meeting that established the standards of care set down by the WHO. His conversion to midwifery came about primarily through personal contact with midwives, mainly in Europe. As an epidemiologist he could see the sense in what they were saying and he set out to prove this through research etc. It is a great read, and has all the references etc that underpin the recommendations.

As the publisher of Pursuing the Birth Machine (it is 10 years old now) we have a few copies left at a very good price. it is a book that everyone should have on their shelf, not only because of its now historical importance but also because the arguments are very eloquently put - a good example of how to tackle these arguments yourselves.

More details are available here:

http://www.acegraphics.com.au/product/ace/bk200.html

Regards,

Andrea