I think the 'baby friendly initiative' doesn't take into consideration the artificial environment women find themselves in whilst trying to adapt to motherhood. In other cultures, and not so long ago here, women would have birthed at home supported by other women (family and friends). They would have been surrounded by supporter who knew them. These supporters would have cared for them and their baby in a familiar environment and facilitated their adaption to motherhood.

Now they are on hospital ward with all the noise, lack of privacy + isolated from their support people (even their partners). Often recovering from a 'medical birth'. They are awake all day with comings and goings (visitors, people emptying bins, mw doing obs). Then we expect them to deal with the natural instinct of a baby who wants to breastfeed all night. I have sat with too many exhausted, weeping women to enforce rooming-in. I explain the baby's behaviour, and that it is normal. Then provide coping strategies. Starting with sleeping with baby in bed suckling and last on the list is: I can take your baby and settle him, but will bring him back when he needs food, because only you can feed him. I feel that if a woman is in a hospital, the mws should take on the role of her family and settle the baby for her if she wants us to. The difference a straight 3-4 hours sleep can make to womens ability to cope is sometimes hugh.

From personal experience, I feel that having no rest or break in hospital
with my first significantly compromised my adaption to motherhood - I was totally exhausted. It was one of the main reasons I had my second at home. I could sleep in my own bed with my baby and husband at night, and in the day family would care for her whilst I had a nap.

If we are going to be truely 'baby friendly' we need to move birth back into the family environment.

Rachel

From: JoFromOz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Midwifery-led units - warning, a bit of a rave!
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:34:42 +0800

Tania Smallwood wrote:

What an interesting and thought provoking conversation...I have always felt too that there must be a middle ground, but surely, we need to be adequately
and realistically preparing women for what they will face when they get
home. A new mother expects to be tired, and yes, we can try in hospital to give them time to rest, but taking a baby to the nursery, bottle feeding it,
and letting mothers sleep all night until the day of discharge, (which is
what I saw happen in my midwifery training, only a few years ago) is surely a recipe for disaster. Reality has to hit eventually, surely it's better to
happen with the support of midwives during those first few days, so some
strategies can be made to cope with excessive feeding, not settling etc,
rather than finding out on the first night home that your baby doesn't
actually sleep all night!

I'm not sure I agree that we need to be 'prioritising' the mothers need for
rest over the babies need for attention, I think it is our job as midwives
to help the new family adjust to the needs of the new baby, to be able to
recognize the need for rest, and then to gain the skills and strategies to
be able to achieve that rest, while adjusting to all the demands of new
parenting. So it is a juggling act, but shouldn't we be trying to arm women
and couples with ways of dealing with it, rather than taking away the
'problem' and creating a false sense of reality?

I think 'woman friendly' needs to be seen in a realistic light, we are there
to help the women in their early mothering, this for me, does not include
taking over part of that mothering, or protecting her from the realities she
will face only too soon, without the safety net of midwifery staff on tap.

Just my thoughts...

Tania