Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2005 12:12 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Fw: water bath preferences

How interesting that we all have different views on the pool suitable for birthing !

Does this mean MW as a group are just a contrary bunch ?
Everyone has their own set of experiences I guess.

I do agree with Anne about the spas being an infection control nightmare  & with Mary about the not hitting heads on walls when leaning over the sides, plus space to spread knees, but with the larger inbuilt domestic spas seats & ledges can be very restful. I too have noticed that the rectangular shape encourages women to lie down unless you actively promote hands & knees lengthways in tub & then there's not much room for her partner.
At the homebirths I attend we use all sorts & they all work well as long as the water is deep enough, warm enough & roomy enough.Paddling pools are great.

The concept of a bath/pool in the middle of a room & exposed on 3 sides reminds me of being in a fish bowl, not somewhere cosy, dark, snug & private to birth in, but open to view...........yuk !! Unless the room was really small & nesty (then it'd be an OH&S problem) it's a bit like being on public display & all for the attendants benefit, not the clients. Remember those Russian videos of the waterbirths in a transparent tub where the OB "plays" with the baby under the water & the mother is almost just an onlooker ? I get really angry every time I see that video even though I know they are demonstrating a point, I feel he takes over her birth & 'owns her baby' ! Rant over !!
 I (can't recall seeing many mammals birthing in a  'public' arena now that I come to think of it) !

Brenda