People will try and sue for a poor outcome regardless of the info given etc. But, if you have provided them with adequate info, and they have made their choice and you exercise the 'expected' level of skill - their case will be unsuccessful.

I've just finished a legal, risk management course and learned a lot. People will sue whatever (and unpredictably sometimes), but you can protect yourself against them being successful. Women and their partners need to take responsibility for their birth experiences, and we should be encouraging them to do so.

Rachel

From: "brendamanning" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Scottish dads push wives toward C-sections? I don't think so
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 15:27:07 +1000

Whilst I agree totally in theory..........
"Bad workmen always blame their tools".
I mean we are all talking about 35 years exp of 'seeing' births or deliveries here are we not ? I too had a KRF del x 1 & was OK afterwards so it isn't a personal bias (mind you, made sure I had the next babies at home !!). Just observation & experience. Whatever the instrument, NB, Wrig, Keill .... it's incidental, whatever the surgery it's incidental, damage happens. Some places don't use Keill anymore because they cause maternal damage, in inexp hands, if they kept using them knowing this, we'd consider them negligent wouldn't we ?
Some folks love the Ventouse, some hate it.
Some folks love EL C/S, some condemn it.
We've all seen horrific outcomes from what we thought (& to all intents & purposes appeared) to be NVDs at the time haven't we ? I have actually been present on more than one occasion when an OB has given what I considered (given the time, energy & urgency in the situation) to be a very reasonable & balanced summary of events with choices, options, rationales, possible sequalae etc & the woman & her support team have made their choices & then.......... sued later.

Go figure............
As I say, emotive, subjective stuff all the way isn't it ?

With kind regards
Brenda Manning
www.themidwife.com.au

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken WArd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>