Where I work we count women having a LUSCS whether elective or emerg as being in labour and therefore 1:1 under the ANF ratios. The midwife admits goes to theatre and stays there until mum is ready to go to recovery, goes there with her and the rest of the family and stays until they return to the ward. The orderlies bring her bed to theatre and she is moved from the theatre table onto her bed and positioned on her side to facilitate BF. I usually try to get them almost diagonally across the bed so that the baby when close to her tummy needs to extend its head to take the breast. BF nearly always happens in recovery and baby returns to ward in bed with mum. Its a matter of planning and we take the paper work with us so that we too sit in the corner doing it while mum and dad play with bub.

We do have a policy of only one support person in theatre and during the day the NUM of the OT had been know to enforce adherence to this even when the doctos have agreed to let more people in but after hours - well what they don't know doesn't hurt them.

AQ