From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Andrea Bilcliff
Sent: Monday, 24 October 2005 11:09 AM
To: Ozmidwifery
Cc: Maternity Coalition Midwives
Subject: [ozmidwifery] The 'wrong' gender

Sorry for cross posting...

I have a client who is due to give birth soon and she really wants a baby of a particular gender but the ultrasound has shown the baby to be the opposite. This is much more than being a little disappointed and it does not appear to have eased over the course of the pregnancy.

She has expressed concerns about how this may potentially affect her labour. She also expresses enormous guilt over having these feelings when she already has healthy children, including one of this gender. She is also concerned about the effects her feelings/thoughts are having and will have on her baby's development.

Assuming the ultrasound is correct, has anyone had experience of this either as a mother or care provider? Any words of wisdom?

Thanks,

Andrea Bilcliff