Iodine: the clever mineral

October 25, 2005

When we think of iodine, we think of that fluorescent yellow liquid that was painted viciously on our cuts and grazes as kids. But according to recent studies, this mineral has a far more important role in our health, particularly for pregnant women and their developing babies’ brains. Iodine is essential for a healthy thyroid which produces the thyroid hormone or ‘brain juice’ for developing babies and children.

A prolonged lack of iodine in your diet may lead to a condition known as Iodine Deficiency Disorder or IDD. This deficiency is the single most important cause of preventable intellectual deficit in the world. Preventable intellectual deficit refers to conditions such as goitre, cretinism and mental retardation.

It is important to ensure adequate iodine intake during pregnancy, as this is the time when the brain does the most developing. Iodine deficiency, particularly in children, may lead to lower intelligence levels and learning disorders. It has also been noted that an iodine deficiency can mean development problems for the baby and may even lead to miscarriage.

The recommended daily intake for pregnant women is 120 –150 micrograms with a maximum of 1.1 milligrams per day.

Sydney endocrinologist, Professor Creswell Eastman coordinated a study which measured iodine levels in eight-to-ten year old children. The results were expected to trigger the mandatory addition of iodine to salt. This move has already been agreed to, in principle, by state health ministers.

“It’s going to be years before mandatory fortification takes place, and in the meantime it would be intolerable, almost criminal, to let [pregnant] women be at risk of iodine deficiency,” Professor Eastman said.

Where to find rich sources of iodine:

Seafood – fish, mussels.
Vegetables – in particular, beets, celery, lettuce, mushrooms.
Fruits – grapes, oranges in particular
So, if you’re lucky enough to be pregnant, reach for a salad sandwich instead of that second helping of cake and your baby will thank you for it when they’re graduating with their master’s degree.