My heart bleeds when I see this sort of discussion going on.  I am all for
healthy and passionate debate, but we should be standing together, not
tearing each other apart. The medical profession doesn't need to attack us,
we do that ourselves(like all oppressed groups).
How can we express our disagreement over the current policy oriented
maternity services without it becoming targeted on one group or another? I
am grateful for those hospital based midwives who welcome my client and put
her at ease when we transfer for medical assistance and try so hard to
"soften" the harshness of the hospital environment, while still providing
the clinical care required. . Thank you!
I think that the only way we can change "the system" is to make women aware
of their rights and help them function without the fear. As Caroline Flint
says, "everyday, tell a woman about your job as a midwife" and soon the
whole population will know". cheers, MM

It seems that there are those who feel a midwife working in a hospital
setting has "sold her/his sole to the devil" for doing so.  But they are the

ones on the "front line" so to speak who fight every day for the rights of
birthing women, without them it would be worse.  Yes there are lots of
problems in every hospital in regards to care of women, but the fact is
women do birth in hospitals and we need our best, most passionate midwives
there standing beside them or all is lost and it will all become obstectrics

care under doctors sole control with "ob nurses". If no one has the passion
to work in the hospitals who's left???????  We are never going to get
anywhere if its so easy for external forces to cause us to turn on each
other so easily "United we stand, divided we fall"???????????  Yes there are

going to be differences of opinion which we are all entitled to express,
thats what I love about the country we live in. But we must have one goal
and that is to get and give the absolute best care for women and their
families no mater whether they turn up at a Birthing Centre, Hospital, in
their own home or where ever.  We must fight to be the worlds BEST place to
have a child and make every pregnant women wish they could birth here no
matter where she goes in Australia.

This is the first time I have ever written anything on here so as you can
tell this has sparked an interest in me.  And I hope it makes sence!

Amanda