Personally: having BF two children and AF one - one BF'er and the AF'er always needed burping (both boys - still find it quite amusing to burp at the dinner table - Hmmm) and got so colicky and sad without it. The other BF'er (girl - hasn't learnt to burp at the table yet!) co-slept, fed all night and rarely needed it.

So when at work at night, I probably give mixed messages as well, but tend to advicse to burp. But I find that the primep's are so "new" at it all that instead of burping the baby, they are SO gentle that they almost tickle them - is so cute to see - then you get the MIL (they are there at night sometimes) or multi4 or 5, and they are very adept at it all, and much more 'hands on' if you get what I mean.

Cheryl

From: "wump fish" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: [ozmidwifery] burping/winding
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 23:05:15 +0000

Thanks for your replies!

I guess it is a case of encouraging the mother to follow her baby. If he falls asleep after a good feed then leave him. If he is fidgeting about and seems uncomfortable try winding him to see if that is the problem. They will soon work out if they have a baby who needs to burp or not.

I never winded my babies. My mother in law insisted on winding my son if she was around. After being jogged and rubbed he would puke up his entire feed and have to be fed again - very annoying!

Rachel